There are very practical reasons why I love hand-me-downs, most importantly that our new, intense budget doesn't leave any room for my previous shopping habit. There's also the fact that I didn't have to shove Mercer into her car seat, head to the mall, and try on lots and lots of shoes. But practicality aside, I love that these shoes have been on little Eloise, and maybe Lily's feet. I think about how Eloise is SO brave and active and climbs, jumps, and heaves herself off of high objects without fear. How Lily follows Eloise around adoring her older sister and, at the same time, has a little twinkle in her eye that says, "I can do that too, and this and this and this...."
Kate (Portland Kate, not me) is one of the people in my life that I most admire. I'm pretty sure I haven't told her that, which is just plain silly, but she'll know now since she's one of my five loyal readers. She has an ease about her with all of life, but especially with parenting, that I just love. I identify with her need for order in the midst of the chaos parenting can bring and I long to have her ability to balance that need with fun, creativity, and love. When I get a chance to visit, I like to try and soak it all up and when I'm not there, I just glean as much as I can from her blog and our phone conversations. I like to think that these little pink shoes soaked up a bit of her wisdom while living in her house. At the very least, I know they soaked up lots of love, creativity, and energy and I love that each time I put them on Mercer, I'm reminded of that.
4 comments:
I don't cry, but THAT made me cry.
I love you sweet friend and I love that we had clothes from Langley too. We wore the "my Daddy rocks" shirt with pride knowing that it meant so much when L wore it for Cory.
You are amazing, yourself and I admire your strength, perseverance, determination, and loyalty to those you love and cherish.
You are deeply, loved, valued and cherished.
I love you sweet friend. Thanks for encouraging me today.
--and yes, Lily wore those, but eloise got more of her daring, jumping days out in those shoes. :)
That's such a sweet posting. I love that you spent time on a blog telling someone how much you appreciate them. I've been thinking of sending certain friends "how much they mean to me" cards for some time now. I'll get on that real soon...your post was inspiring. I'm glad you have a chubby-footed child to wear the Converse.
Such a sweet post!
Kate... Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. I remember you from Inn days, and am always interested to hear what you're up to when Kate talks about you. Thanks so much for praying for Joy. I love that your necklace says Choose Joy! Hope all is well with you. :)
Post a Comment